View Single Post
Old 07-25-07, 12:16 PM
ledbetter10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Opinion on bike choice/price for a Clyde

Hello everyone - I am a Clyde looking to get my first bike and have been searching for a month now. In the interest of saving some money, I've been watching craigslist religiously waiting for a good deal or the right bike to pop up. I think I have settled on the Trek 7100 (tested out at a LBS) and 2 of them have been put up for sale finally in the last day or so.

Here are my 2 options - can you give some advice here?

Option #1) 17.5" frame, ridden for ~200 miles, bike is upgraded with Shimano Rapid Fire shifters and Ritchey handlebars. Asking price is 325 OBO. This frame size is the one I tried out at the LBS and seemed to be a good fit. Not sure how to check to make sure the shifters and bars were installed and working properly.

Option #2) 20" frame, college bike used to ride around campus. Bike is stock. Asking price is $200 or BO. Obviously this has a more attractive price, but the frame is a bit bigger than I think I need, although I've ridden a friend's bike with a 20" frame recently and it isn't uncomfortable at all.

What do you guys think? Would knocking 50 bucks off the asking price of either bike be reasonable, especially for the one that has been upgraded? Thanks for any help!

There are also lots of old bikes for sale on there, and I have no idea which older models of road bikes would be Clyde-approved - don't want to break it! Any advice here might be nice as well.

-Brett