Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zippered
yay for do-it-yourself!

i'd want one in day-glo or some sort of high-vis material, however. something other than cotton that would wear longer, dry faster, but still washable.

i have no machine; i wonder if i could hand-sew a simple pattern like that?

edit: anyone who doesn't appreciate such skill and thriftyness may be the crazy one imho

I highly recomend getting a machine. you can pick one up new for ~$100 @ walmart and you'll figure out tons of things to make or repair/alter with it. (camping gear, bags/stuffsacks for things, clothing alterations and fixes, etc.)

I just eyeballed the patterns but it is sewn from 3 pieces of fabric- I'll try to describe it in case anyone wants to try to make somethign similar.

the first piece i traced the outline of the saddle onto the back of the fabric. i added about 1/2" for seams, and cut it out. this piece is the top of the seat cover.

the second piece is the bottom of the saddle 'horn'. also traced from the saddle with seam allowance added in.

the third piece is the retaining band that holds the drawstring. it is a strip of fabric that is folded over and hemmed with space for a drawstring. (don't forget to turn down the ends first!)

i sewed the retaining band first, then sewed the bottom horn piece to the middle of the band. (you want the ends of the band to be in the back of the saddle)

then i sewed the horn closed, test fit, had another beer to build confidence and sewed the retaining band to the seat top.

It isn't perfect, but its closer than i expected for a first shot. My choice of fabric was more for novelty and entertainment than for function. I may redo the cover with lycra or other suitable material.

Next project i want to attempt is a custom frame bag. then i'm hoping to make fleece helmet strap mounted ear warmers for fall riding. and maybe wind resistant, fleece lined pants with a cycling-specific cut.