View Single Post
Old 07-26-07, 10:31 PM
Flimflam
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Firstly, glad at least your accident still kept you able to post about it and the warning - it IS a crazy spot, both ends of that one section of the path are kinda nuts...

Just with any other perilous intersection on the road (let's say, Dundas St. W and College - streetcar tracks bonus!) you should treat that area with care and caution, especially when there are unpredictable elements around. I ride through there daily and have never had a problem, I ride through there in busy commute times when there are a lot of bikes, but also on the weekend times when there are all kinds of nuts about.

Needless to say, I can barrel through there in excess of 30km/h without much of a thought when there are just the usual commuter crowd around - not so for the mid-evening/weekend times.

Just ride for the conditions, Lakeshore isn't so bad around that area anyway, once you're around Bathurst you can drop down to Queens Quay and have the bikelane again if you choose.

Dare I mention the listed 20km/h limit for park/trail paths? Sure, I don't abide by it all too often myself, but don't expect sympathy from me if you crashed due to a high speed collision (I can't see a CF frame getting destroyed in any other fashion in the accident described above) - it should be an accepted risk you take - just like running a stop sign, or whatever similar infraction.