Old 07-28-07, 10:47 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You're not going to like what I have to say, so bear in mind I could be very wrong.

1) Sometimes spokes of the same length really aren't. I always check a set of spokes for even length before I start lacing and sometimes I pull a few out. Only way to find out if that has to do with anything would be to disassemble and measure.

2) The rim spoke hole bulges would concern me. I'd call the person who sold you the rims and ask about it. If there's a wheel builder at your LBS, check with him too. If everyone says it's OK, then mark the spokes and check them after every ride for a while for cracks. If you don't find any, you can reduce the frequency of the checks.

I've built Mavic Open Pros which are lighter than those rims and haven't had spoke bulges, but they are double-eyeletted. The single-eyeletted Mavic MA-3s that I had, however, bulged and cracked.

A few years ago when I was looking in to Niobium rims and started asking around, I got varying opinions on the potential durability of wheels built with them. I came away feeling that at 185 pounds, I'd rather pass. They were newer then so maybe people were extra cautious and I needn't be concerned.

FWIW, I'm not a professional wheel builder, but I've built close to 20 wheels over past few years and none have had the problems you describe. Wait a bit and let others weigh in. Maybe they've got some better ideas.