View Single Post
Old 07-29-07, 08:32 PM
doctor j

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
For my personal Mt. Ventoux, which is called Mount Gaylor and is located on U.S. Highway 71 south of here, I take a look at the hill as I am approaching it and do an initial UGH! As I get into the hill, I get into the drops and shift to the little ring and the appropriate cog, usually Granny-2. I take another quick look up the hill to survey the road for debris, pot holes, traffic etc., then I begin to stare intently at the point where my left crank arm attaches to the bottom bracket and continue to spin. I don't look up the hill except for extremely quick surveys of what's ahead. As I'm staring at the aforementioned junction of crank arm and bottom bracket, I think only about spinning comfortably, nothing else, especially not the amount of hill that remains. As it gets steeper, I'll go to the Granny-1 cog or Granny cog to maintain a sane and comfortable cadence. I try to pull up against the toe clips as much as possible to get some power into the spin, but I don't go overboard. All the while, I'm gasping for as much oxygen as my cigarette-abused lungs will process. No, I don't smoke any more, and if I had the range of motion to do it, I would kick myself in the derrière for engaging in that habit many moons ago. When I notice it's getting easier, I do the WHEW-I-made-it thing, look up, and start thinking about moving to the next ring and a smaller cog.

For me, looking up the hill is a definite no-no. Concentrating on that one point on the bike and maintaining a comfortable spin does it for me.

Fortunately, I've found that this hill isn't as tough as it was before. It's not easy, and I'll never be cited for speeding as I ascend, but it's not as bad as it was.

Stay with it.