Old 06-07-04, 05:59 PM
foehn

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N7CZinMT
1. Heavier material is generally better. (the real cheap shorts are just about see through )
2. It really is all about the pad. Go to your LBS and try on several models/brands and base your purchase on what feels best. You won't really know if the decision is right until you get out and ride, but should be close.
And, look for lycra content. The higher the lycra content the more stretchy and comfortable the shorts will be, without bagging and wrinkling.

I agree about the pad; they do differ as to heat, individual "butt-fitt" and placement. I have one pair with a one-piece chamois, and it it nice for a while, but it is a little too wide where it fits right between my thighs at the crotch and so I use it for shorter rides. I have 2 pair of shorts with chamois with "baseball" seams; one pair that is the larger of the two is really nice to sit on, but the shorts are a little too loose and shift around too much and get caught on the horn of my saddle at times; the other pair, the smaller, fits nice and everything stays put BUT the dang seam sometimes is directly under my right sit-bone--ouch!

I like the Fox shorts I have and my Pearl Isumis are nice too. The styles I have are all under $50.

My husband has some Performance Century (I think) shorts that he likes alot. I think the matierial is a good weight and it's not so obnoxious-shiny like some bicycle shorts. They are eight panel and fit very nicely and wash up well. The only complaint I have about the Performance shorts I have seen is that they use elastic that is too narrow for the waist band. A little wider would be more comfortable, especially if you have any weight around the waist.