Windknot Flies
Corpus Christi, Texas

Bikes: looking for my first 'real' road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey John,

How are you doing? Yes, Denise and I started riding with the Lamar Park group a few weeks ago. If you haven't already heard, a great cyclist and man named Donny got killed this weekend while riding the route usually taken by the Lamar Park group. Denise, 3 other friends and I had JUST spoken to him probably just minutes before he was killed. Strangely enough, right after we spoke to him, my girlfriend said she didn't feel well and we turned around and headed back. The three other we were riding with were the first people on the tragic scene. I feel horrible because I've had a lot of first aid/combat injury training with the Army and MAYBE I could have done SOMETHING. Our friends said even if I had been there, I would not have been able to do anything. Apparently he didn't stop at a stop sign and was going about 30 mph. The truck that hit him was traveling around 40mph when the accident happened. Hopefully he didn't know what hit him and he didn't suffer. As cliche as it sounds, at least he died doing what he loved to do. It is still tragic loss despite the circumstances. The memorial was this weekend and the local cycling community is still in shock. The story can be found on this link: http://caller.com/news/2007/jul/30/c...-honor-fallen/ It has been quite a sad weekend, but it just drives home the importance of safety for all cyclists. But enough of that for now...

It's great to hear from a local and Denise and I will certainly shoot you a message so we can hook up and ride together....just take it easy on me...I'm a beginner. =) We've been doing about a 40 mile ride every saturday with some shorter 25-30 milers 3-4 days a week. My goal is to do the MS 150 next year (just so I can say I've done it...you know how it is.) I still haven't bought my first 'official' road bike, but will do so soon. I figure if I'm pedaling a steel Bridgestone moutain bike and having little problems with 40 mile rides, then I should be in pretty good shape when I get a real bike. =) Anyways, take care John, and I look forward to riding with you soon.

Tight Lines~

Harris