View Single Post
Old 07-31-07, 02:40 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
what you need to know with cinelli is that the logo changed around 1978 or so... so older stems have CINELLI MILANO in an oval on the top while newer ones have the winged C, the old logo bars also had the "knight crest" on them. Old logo cinelli stuff is more expensive on the bay and elsewhere usually, sometimes you can make a score especially if you are willing to live with some blemishes. I got a very early 1A stem from the 1960 with the 7mm allen binder bolt and the 12mm (i think) hex nut bar clamp. You will be looking for the old logo 1A with the allen fasteners or the old logo 1R to be correct for your build. And any alloy bar with the crest logo should be close enough. There was some changes to the knurled clamp area on the bars but I am not sure what that time line is and at 1974 and crest logo bars should be correct. PM if you are interested in an old logo 105mm 1R and 39cm campione del mondo bars.

this seems to be the best cinelli bar and stem source on the net.
http://www.43bikes.com/cinelli-bars-stems.html

the old logo 1R was introduced in 1973 and if you watch a sunday in hell or the greatest show on earth you'll see most riders were using them. I believe the old logo 1A was revised for 1972 to have the 6mm allen fittings as the above link indicated, this is contrary to the classic rendezvous (here) timeline which indicated the change was in 1975... members of this forum have commented that they indeed remember the 1A with 6mm allen fittings prior to 1975.

Last edited by cyclotoine; 07-31-07 at 02:45 PM.