View Single Post
Old 06-08-04, 03:16 PM
Brennan

Bikes: Surly X√, Trek Earl

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I spent a couple weeks in Colorado Springs last year. The scenery and outdoor pursuits are fantastic. You will have access to plenty of places to go riding, hiking, rock climbing, kayaking, etc. And don't forget the Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak! (If you ever get lost, all you have to do is look for Pikes Peak to reorient yourself.)

There is a conservative element there. It's a big military town with a mysterious, top-secret installation buried under some mountain, and there is also the Air Force Academy. (You will see military jets flying overhead all the time). Nevertheless, there are also many folks that tend to be more liberal and environmentally conscious.

While the outlying areas can be a bit boring, the old town section is really cool. There are plenty of good restaurants from stick-to-your-ribs American to Italian, Korean, Greek, etc. Also, there are many cool shops and, of course, bike shops. While I was there, they had a street market down the main street one weekend with all kinds of food and interesting things for sale. This town is not a cultural wasteland.

I saw a lot of really nice homes while I was there, especially in said old town area and the foothills. I have no idea what the real estate market is like though.

Don't forget you can easily explore all of Colorado, as well as Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. You won't run out of places to explore.

Good luck!