Old 06-08-04, 08:45 PM
PTVegas

Bikes: '97 GT Zaskar, '04 Litespeed Vela 104

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Well, I am going ahead with the ACE. Paid my money. I get continuous conflicting advice, so I made my choice. One nice thing is that you can get multiply certified. Also, some of the certifications you mentioned require a college degree in a related area, which I do not have.

Oh so confusing!

My goal at the present time is not to do corrective or rehab type stuff. It is to take healthy folks who are not into exercising, nutrition and general strength training (but know they need to) and getting them on this road.

Last summer, my wife and I took the "Body for Life" course sponsored by our local rec center. What was amazing was that the course was sold out many times over. They offered it several times, each time sold out.

This is the population I am aiming at. Folks who know they need a push and a shove and some discipline, and some instruction on techniques. Nutrition, aerobics and basic strength training.

When I say my target is "older adults" I am not referring to those in their 80's and 90's, specifically. Folks 40+ would be great. At 64 yo, perhaps I can be sort of a role model.
Only the NSCA CSCS requires a degree or that you be a senior in standing at college. That is strength and conditioning specific cert., which would benefit those looking to be a conditioning coach at the college or higher level.

I was addressing that your goal range be the 40+ crowd. Don't get sucked into the notion that personal training is take some knowledge, then go motivate someone under the advice of that knowledge. These are typically people who have been sedentary for 5 + years easy. During that time they have acquired many postural deviations to years of repetitive motions (sitting at a desk typing on the computer), excessive weight, etc. Before you can go make them stronger more active, etc., some of these things need addressing. If not, you can compound existing problems or in fact help to create them. Stretching will be one of your biggest prescriptions and activites you will be having many of your clients doing, especially in that age group.

Don't take my lack of enthusiasm for the ACE certification as trying to deter you. I applaud your interest in doing it right and not getting some any name endorsement. Al I am saying is that one of the other cert. will serve you better in terms of being a successful trainer, and by no means do I think one cert. covers it all. I have and will always continue to acquire some more knowledge, be it endorsements or other forms of training.

I currently have a BS in Kinesiology and the NSCA-CPT endorsement. I am speaking of current experience in this field; not hearse or what was done 10 years ago. Clients are like children, some take our guidance and others are rebels. You have to earn their respect and show results. Every minute you are with a client, you have people critiquing your every move, even on your own time.

I wish you luck on your exam.