bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Recumbents offer advantages and disadvantages. First, after you develop new muscle groups, they are as fast, or faster than a road bike on the flats and down hills. Headwinds bother you less. You have a "heads up" view of the traffic and what is going on around you. They are COMFORTABLE. I switched because I couldn't stand the road bike for more than 15 minutes before my hands would go numb. I can now ride for hours with no pain. In fact, I've just started some limited commuting to work, something I would not have been able to do on the road bike. Other vehicles on the road seem to tolerate your presence better. And mostly BECAUSE THEY ARE A BLAST TO RIDE. For me it put the fun back in cycling. As far as weight goes my 'bent weighs about 10 pounds more than my road bike, but the extra weight is really not noticeable, even on the hills, thanks to good gearing. I use a rear view mirror which is pretty much standard equipment since you can't really turn your head easily to look back. I have a flag that I've set to the required height so it is visible to the drivers of SUVs. They are not hard to ride, just different. You have to learn to really relax, and forget just about all of your roadie instincts. The balance is achieved through steering. The only real roadie skill that is real usefull is spinning. When climbing you gear down and spin. For fun you might want to do a web search on recumbents then check out a dealer near you for a test ride. There are many types and styles to choose from. I ride a compact long wheelbase Rans Tailwind. It works for me.

'bent Brian