regomatic
Cyclist- Bike 'n a half

Bikes: Custom S & S Bushnell Tandem, Eddy Merckx Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ftsoft
We've handed bottles back and forth in some situations. It works pretty well. While we are talking about bottles--- our Co-Motion Speedster is not the best for carrying bottles. The captain's upper bottle is a tight fit even for a 24 oz using a carbon cage (easier in/out). My wife, the stoker, who is pretty short can just barely reach the stoker top bottle, so sometimes I just hand her my bottle.

Another reason for the "double decker" solution. The bottles on the upper deck are much more accessible, within closer reach.

My upper bottle is a tight fit too and the lower cage is a long reach that I now use to carry a tool case.

I find it much easier / safer with her passing the bottle. I call "drink", and when she's got it ready she taps it against my hip, when I reach back she fits it into my hand like a relay team passes a baton.

We drink a combination of sports drinks and water, and usually have all of the right drinks in the right positions at the ride start and after every rest stop, if she needs to attend to re-arranging more than a bottle or two on the road, she lets me know so we can take a rolling break for 5-10 seconds while she sorts it all out.

I'm sure lots of folks have lots of different solutions that work for them, we've tried a few others and this is the one that works best for us.