Old 08-03-07, 09:42 AM
james_swift
All ur bike r belong Enki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jvroom
I'm not clear about the instructions above. Let me se if i have this right. While riding, look straight ahead and while keeping my head up and looking forward, tilt my eyes down until I can see how much in front of the handlebars the hub appears to be? Correct?

I installed a longer stem and I'm now stretched out a bit more. I haven't riden the bike much yet, so I'm not sure if I'm satisfied yet. I'll make the observation you have asked me to make and report back. Or, feel free to simply reply (for the benefit of others who may be watchng and who may decide on doing the same thing) with your comments to the following.

If my technique of getting the measurement is correctly described above...

If my bike's hub is visually located behind my handlebars...You would suggest?

If my bike's hub is visually located even with my handlebars...You would suggest?

If my bike's hub is visually located in front of my handlebars bye 0-1"...You would suggest?

If my bike's hub is visually located in front of my handlebars bye 1-2"...You would suggest?

If my bike's hub is visually located in front of my handlebars bye 2-3"...You would suggest?

Etc.

Bye & thanks
Yes, that's correct.

If the hub appears 1 inch in front of your bars, then you could probably benefit from a longer stem. If the hub appears behind your bars by about 1 inch, then your setup is equivalent to an aggressive mountain biking position (anything beyond 1 inch and you may be stretched too far). If the hub appears even with the bars, then you're good. These are all just guidelines.

But before you go and change your stem, I'd recommend starting first with getting your saddle height and fore-aft adjustment right, then work on the reach.