View Single Post
Old 08-03-07, 05:49 PM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I'm putting together a workshop on risk-taking for the executive team in an organization and finding lots of parallels between leadership behavior and cycling behavior. Each requires an element of risk, and each of us is responsible for determining what is a good, calculated risk, and what is pure foolishness.

As cyclists, we all have to determine what risks we're willing to take and what we're not willing to risk. Decisions about where to ride, whether to wear a helmet or not, use a mirror or not, take repair equipment along or not, ride with others or not, and so on are a part of the sport.

If you're willing, I'd love to hear comments about how you assess cycling risks, what you're willing to risk and what you're not (and why) and whether your disposition toward risk-taking has changed over the years. If this stuff bores you, feel free to ignore this thread!
I suck at this stuff, but I'll try:

First off, I believe we all do "risk assessments" every time we do anything. Most of the time
these are subconscious assesments.....testing the water before stepping into the bath or
shower, checking both ways before going into the street, testing the temperature before
wrapping your hand around that cup of latte, picking you way through a messy room.
I feel that every decision involves a risk assessment. Humans are good at this by nature.
I believe companies need to define the limits, not teach the skill.
End of Soapbox for today.

In cycling I try to measure the severity of any decision (risk) against the consequence if its failure, not the gain of its success. You see, I must remember my first and foremost responsibility is to provide for my wife, who is unable to provide for herself, and our three college students (daughters).
So step one....I know the main objective...it is clearly stated to me.

1 Should I ride?
Risks....don't ride and lead a sedantary lifestyle...potential health issues
do ride regularly leading an active lifestyle....many fewer potential health issues
1. Answer.......Yes

2. Should I carry lots tools to enable every forseeable repair?
We can make this one complicated.
Do you carry a cell phone
Is you wife, child, whoever, gonna be able to come and get you today
How far are you traaveling from home
Do you need to be back for later appointments
All these items factor into the risk assesment of carrying tools and which tools to carry.
For me it's a no-brainer, my wife's unemployed and if she comes to get me we'll probably
rack the bike and go to lunch someplace together. I seldom stray far from home. I win either way.
2. Answer....No, leave the tools at home. A mechanical failure will cause minimal problems.
NOTE: before cell phones and when the girls were little, I could have rebuilt the
Space Shuttle with all the tools I carried...funny thing, I never needed them.

3. Should I play in heavy traffic?
Risks: In my perception of things, I'm more likely to get injured in heavy traffic than on
light use residential side streets, rendering me unable to provide for my family.
3. Answer...No, stay out of traffic
NOTE: when I was single, I rode anywhere, traffic or no traffic.

4. Just discovered a new MUP, should I explore?
Risk....do I have sufficient time?
Risk....Am I hungry and if so am I headed toward a known feed bag
Risk....Am I alone and if not do the other rider(s) want to explore?
(trick question...I'm always alone)
4. Answer...it doesn't matter, as none of the above has any effect on my family what-so-ever

Anyway Gary, that's how my feeble little brain characterizes cycling risks.
Hope it helps.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 08-03-07 at 06:51 PM.