View Single Post
Old 08-05-07, 04:23 PM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by donnamb
Ah. I guess I'm spoiled to be in such a computer-friendly state. You can download and print out the application from their website (or the library would do it for you), fill it out at home, and bring it in. After the first time (where you do have to be there in person), renewal is by mail every 6 months.
It seems simple, but having access to a computer is so out of reach for these folks. Yes, they could use one at the library, I suppose. But part of having that kind of wherewithall and computer saavy is part of why some people have wealth and others can't even seem to figure out where to go to get assistance. It is a painful pit. Folks in the valley sometimes just can't seem to find the path out even though it seems so clear from a bird's eye view. "Go this way", you shout to them, and they spin in a circle and ask, "which THIS way do you mean".

Man, if you have ever been in the whirlpool of life getting spun around and sucked down, you will alway remember the person who reached out to help you. Sometimes it is just that easy. Sometimes it rakes just one person to slow down the spin just enough for you to get your bearings so you can move forward and up.

Fixing this dude's bike isn't a cure-all, but human-to-human connection is a powerful thing. Maybe just the thought that another human being cares enough to help him will give him a spiritual boost that could propell him a long way - maybe even far enough for him to reach the next good thing that happens to him.

Last edited by mike; 08-05-07 at 04:41 PM.