View Single Post
Old 08-06-07, 02:19 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
I'm re-building my black Miyata (black stallion) as a 9 speed TT type racer. I'm also building up a yellow/white Mercier AL/CF frame. Installing the cheap Tektro brakes I found the rear brake pads were not contacting the rim - almost a 1/8" gap front to back.
After a call and trip to Performance Bike (yes we have cheap 105 brake calipers) - only Ultegra or pricier brakes. An hour working with my vise I now have working calipers (slightly scratched). Now comes the cables - NOT. It turns out I burnt the better teflon double ended cables on the Miyata rework (required the MTB end) instead of the MTB ended only lower quality cables. I'm a brake cable short.
It seems I won't be riding the Mercier tomorrow.
p.s. I'm now wrestling with the used 105 brifter and ultegra FD. I think the brifter may be a three speed - argh
Should be possible to set up a 3 speed brifter to a double as that is what I have on the Boreas. Just set the Stops on the Mech so that it does not get full movement as on a triple. And depending on the year- I have only looked at the latest 10 speed- The same brifter is used for a double or triple- according to the shimano product guide.

http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...=1175845498686

Both the double and the Triple brifter set are the same no. of 5600

Spike Milligan