View Single Post
Old 08-06-07, 07:56 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
A tour for us old folks

Three weeks ago the wife and I went to St Jerome, QC, just north of Montreal and rode Le P'tit Train Du Nord. A 125 mile long rail trail that runs through the Laurentian mountains. We had a fantastic time. On day one we traveled by bus from St Jerome to Mt Laurier at the northern end of the trail. We then spent 4 days doing an easy 35 miles per day - 23 on the last day. We spent each of 3 nights in a B&B along the way. Our luggage was transported for us by the bus company so it was just us on our bicycles.The particular package we chose had each inn situated on a lake, and included 3 meals a day. A light lunch was packed for us in a small insulated bag which hung nicely over our saddles. The food was great at every stop and I managed to gain 6 lbs after 4 days of riding. The lunch bag was not needed as there were plenty of small bistros along the trail where one could stop for snacks and refreshment. There are also plenty of rest areas and shelters along the trail, along with spigots for drinking water.Since a good portion of the trail is unpaved (crushed rock and sand) most people ride it on hybrids or mountain bikes. We did it on our road bikes with no problems as the unpaved section was very firmly packed. It wasn't even a problem in the heavy rain we encountered on our second day of riding. I highly recommend this area for anyone looking for an inexpensive multi day cycling vacation. The hardest part was the 7 hour drive back to NYC on the last day