View Single Post
Old 08-07-07, 07:47 PM
spencejm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Time to introduce myself

I finally realized this evening that I've posted replies several times and I've never introduced myself. I'm Joe, a 44 year old male who lives in Columbia, MO. At the start of 2006 I weighed right at 280 lbs. I realized that I didn't feel good most of the time. A very good friend of my wife's lost her husband to a heart attack in Feb. 2006 and I finally realized that this was my fate if I didn't do something. I tried the old Atkins thing (for the 3rd time) and I tried the Zone (for the 2nd time although I lost 40 lbs the first time but gained it all back) and nothing really worked for me. I then bought Dr. Phil's book. Before you roll your eyes I will admit that I cannot stand his television show or most other things about him. But this book just clicked a switch in me. I realized that I was treating my stress at work with a Double 1/4 pounder with cheese and supersized fries. I completely changed my diet, learned to like vegetables by just making up my mind that I was going to like them, and began walking. I used to ride a bicycle and still had a Trek 720 Multi track sitting in the garage. I rode it some last year but thought I wanted to run. Turns out I don't like running so I got back on the bike this year. To date I am down to 205 lbs. I have stalled out over the last 3 or 4 months but I admit I got a bit lax and started nibbling around the edges of old habits. I'm getting more strict again and even though I really like you guys I'm hoping to drop out of your ranks soon. I'll still hang out in here though. You guys just don't take things nearly as seriously as everyone else. It's a lot more fun!

About my riding, I just did 30 miles last Saturday on that heavy, heavy Trek and try to do 10 or 15 miles at least 2 or 3 other times during the week. I'm slowly increasing the long ride mileage but I'm getting to the point where the Trek is just uncomfortable for that amount of time. I'm looking seriously at a Specialized Tricross Sport Triple. We've got so many nice trails around here, like the 200+ mile Katy, that I really want something that will work well in gravel but can be used for longer road rides as well. I'm hoping that it might be a Christmas present. My goal for next year is to complete at least 1 century.

I see a lot of people wanting to lose weight. Please just always keep in mind that you can't go on a diet. It won't work. You've got to decide to change your life. You'll probably meet with resistance. My wife and I had some real fights over the grocery bill and some of the food I would no longer eat. Now she's on board and feels better as well. It's really worth the effort. You'll feel so much better and be amazed at the things you can do that you never would have tried before.

Thanks for your patience with the long post. By the way, I'm a very eloquent thinker. The words just never seem to make it to my fingers!

Joe