View Single Post
Old 08-07-07, 09:16 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
His inseam of 87 cm, or 34.25", is normal for a 6'0" person. While the numbers can vary all over the map, the typical man has an inseam that is about 47%-48% of their height. That would be a range of 33.8"-34.6" for a 6' man. He is in the dead center of this range. So he really couldn't be any more "normal."

I, OTOH, am A. B. Normal.
My bad. I seem to be misreading and misstating things all over today. I think I saw 87 cm and was thinking 37". Odd thing is, those are my measurements too. I must be more tired than I thought!
Sorry to have suggested you are oddly sized, Jim. You sure seem normal to me.

Anyway, I'm surprised you're not finding better fit. I find that most 58 cm bikes fit me just fine. My old Bridgestone is a 57.5 and with a Nitto Technomic Deluxe stem, I have the bars set at 1" below saddle height with enough adjustment left to raise them another 1/2" or so. The standard technomic stem is a little longer still.

As others have said, modern racing bikes are set up for low bars, but even with them I can get the bars up to a reasonable height by flipping the stem. I would think that any of the more comfort oriented road bikes (Roubaix, Pilot, Sequoia, Fierte etc.) would work just fine. Or go for a Soma Smoothie ES frame, or a Rivendell, or a Salsa Casseroll or something along those lines.