Old 06-13-04, 04:06 PM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fore
what dont you get about them? why they have mini track ends rather than dropouts?

cervelo is big on aerodynamics. in order to get the rear wheel as close to the seat tube as possible, they need the track ends. they certainly could get by with vertical dropouts, but then everyone would have to use the same size/model of tire, basically.

if they design the length of the stays to give 2mm clearance with 700x20s, if you decide to switch to 700x25 the tires may rub. alternatively, if they design for 2mm clearance with 700x25s, you'll have a much larger gap if you switch to 700x20. the track ends let you position the wheel as close as possible regardless of tire size.

the p2t model (their track frame) uses a 120mm spacing.
well...i understand that the horizontal dropouts are to get the wheel closer to the seat tube, what i don't get is why they advertise it as "OMG YOU CAN USE IT AS A TRACK BIKE OMGOMGOMG!!" when, while you CAN use it as a track bike, you have to fork over the money for A, a 130mm spaced track hub, and B, you'll probably have to have the wheel dished all funky for it to sit properly between the dropouts, due to the offset stays on most road bikes...

i'm just being nit-picky...i understand the design, and think it's pretty gosh darn cool, but they're definitely not going to work very well for a track set up...and one thing that i just now thought about: it would be a ***** to pull the rear wheel out of horizontal dropouts with a derailleur back there... eh...