View Single Post
Old 08-09-07, 10:47 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclistjohn
I find the cantilever design on the Strida really handy as it means a tube or tyre change, particularly the rear, is almost trivial. Is there some Giant feature that offsets that idea?
The roller cam brakes on the 1/2way do not have quick releases so when removing the tube on a flat tire squeezing it past the brake pads is a bit of a pain. Opening up the brakes would be even more of a pain IMO so I just use patience and work the tube past the brake pads. It can be done. That clearance factor is also IMO why some of us 1/2way owners (mine was recently nicked but I will replace it, that's how much I like them) report being able to roll them on the front wheel but others cannot. Supertight clearance of the new brake pads is great for the stopping power but the folded bike will not roll. As the pads wear clearance opens up to the point where the folded bike will roll. To be fair, all the folders I have seen that do roll well use extra (roller skate) wheels to do so. That can't be light. When a folder is folded IMO the most critical dimension is width. The 1/2way flat out spanks anything I have seen from Dahon or Downtube for that matter in the overall size, especially width of the folded bike.