View Single Post
Old 08-10-07, 08:01 AM
cyclistjohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 14R
The brakes, the fenders and the clearance between tires and frame/fork offsets the idea to the point where I was really turned off just to upgrade the tires on my halfway at home (nice beverage available, AC on, girlfriend giving a back massage...). Can't even imagine doing it under stress trying to get to work or class or whatever.

On the other hand, I currently ride a Brompton. Changing a flat on rear wheel must be at least twice the trouble...
Ok, thanks. I suspected it might be the brakes. A rear wheel puncture must be a real pain for a commuter with normal bike forks!

Originally Posted by donlab
To me, I also like the folding of the Halfway, I never have to touch the chains when unfolding :-)
donlab, does the chain stay in tension then, or do you mean something else?

Originally Posted by I leave the wheels on the bike and use a multi tool to remove one brake pad. This gives enough clearance to replace a tube, fix a flat etc.

[QUOTE=Leisesturm
The roller cam brakes on the 1/2way do not have quick releases so when removing the tube on a flat tire squeezing it past the brake pads is a bit of a pain. Opening up the brakes would be even more of a pain IMO so I just use patience and work the tube past the brake pads. It can be done. That clearance factor is also IMO why some of us 1/2way owners (mine was recently nicked but I will replace it, that's how much I like them) report being able to roll them on the front wheel but others cannot. Supertight clearance of the new brake pads is great for the stopping power but the folded bike will not roll. As the pads wear clearance opens up to the point where the folded bike will roll
Thanks for those details; interesting.

Originally Posted by Northshore Man
I leave the wheels on the bike and use a multi tool to remove one brake pad. This gives enough clearance to replace a tube, fix a flat etc.
Also seems a good idea.

Last edited by cyclistjohn; 08-10-07 at 08:04 AM. Reason: saw later post!