Old 08-10-07, 01:18 PM
clearwaterms

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdinger
+1

Without a doubt a mountain bike probably burns more calories. However, this is one thing I've very unscientifically seen, my heart rate sees a better range on the roadie than it does on the MTB. On the MTB my average is 152-156 (I know, I know..) with the highest being around 177.

On the roadie, my average is 148 with a max being 182. Same route, although I did see it fit to chase a full-kit Cannondale rider that day. But I've done several rides, and that seems to be about on par.

From what I've observed, this seems to indicate that on the roadie I'm doing a good job of staying in the 70-ish percentage of my max HR, with some really nice controlled bursts up near that 100% (my max HR seems to be right about 185, I simply can't push beyond that). The overall average indicates that even with the pushes, I'm doing a great job of nto pushing hard overall.

On the MTB, I'm always in the red zone, it seems like. If I wasn't, I'd be going to slow, and be bored. But it also shows something telling, with my max being 177 (four different rides) it shows that I'm pushing too hard consistently to burst as hard when I need/want to. And I definitely can feel it. If I want to attack a hill, I run out of attack much sooner than I do on the roadie.

Whoa, long tangent there, but you get the idea. Overall it seems that, according to my HRM, I'm burning more calories on the MTB than I am on the roadie because I'm in the "red zone" much longer. Crazy stuff >
my fiancee has a beat up murray thats probably 10 years old. When we ride, she has a heart rate monitor and when we do well to keep in the 70% range she shows a burn of 60 cal/mile, when we go into the 80+ range we show a burn of 70 per, however a good majority at that point is cals from protein.

I honestly don't care if I burn 50 or 60 a mile, I get out and ride, my metabolism is speed up for the entire day. I eat rationaly and in the last month im down 11 pounds. and that includes the fact that I am on three different steroids (so figure more once those stop)