View Single Post
Old 08-13-07, 04:25 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by jmarkley710
So eating in moderation. Biking an average of 4 times a week. And four months of results later. I've lost 6 pounds. I've tried to lose weight for the last year and it's only been 6 or so pounds then it comes back on steadily. About two years ago I had to take three 2 week rounds of prednisone. After that I had gained 25 lbs. Here's my question. Is prescription weight loss a bad idea? Not to lose the weight I need to. But to get me started? Understandably it's a life style change. But I find myself frustrated. About 8 years ago I lost 60 lobs. In the last 4 years it has come back. So it's not like I don't know how to lose weight. Would you consult a physician if you were me or.... Would you just change it up a bit and really kick yourself into bootcamp mode (I was in the army for a short stint) and see what I lose? I'm thinking the later. But maybe the "American" quick and easy way is tempting me.
Pills and chemicals are a bad idea, not only because they usually don't work and may be harmful, but because they foster the idea fat people are helpless victims. OK, rant over before it began. :-)

Unless you have a medical condition that causes weight gain or slows metabolism, you should lose weight with the simple rule that if you burn more than you take in.... etc. My guess, and this is not a flame nor an attempt to troll, is that you are overstating the calories burned and underestimating the calories taken in. This is easy to do. Take it from me. I've been there. In fact, I am living there now, since recently my eating habits haven't been conducive to weight loss.