Old 08-13-07, 06:03 PM
Geoff.m

Bikes: Litespeed - Tuscany, Cannondale - T2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I took a look at both bikes again and (your recommendation Cyccommute n Cave) will select the T2000 based on the gearing. Because the Touring Classic was better spec’d for saddle, wheels, crank and deraileurs, and the niceties of including front rack, peddles and bottle cages I initially I thought I could take that bike and merely change out the gearing to something more suited to touring. However, nothing is simple. It appears that the gearing on the bike is as tall as is currently available in a 10sp gear cluster. Maybe production has not caught up with design. Additionally, I think that 9sp gearing and chain would be more robust than 10sp for touring loads.

Cave, I did get to check out the Touring Ultra – that’s the Euro version – at St Kilda Cycles, with 26’ wheels. Great bike, and I would go for it if I was considering more rugged destinations.

I think you are right Valygrl, the Touring Classic and Ultra are Euro versions and not replacements for the T series, so I guess we can look forward to seeing more T800/2000’s from Cannondale both here in Oz and the US in the future. I was working in Colorado for a couple of years around 2001/2. Great State for living and cycling. I managed biking a couple of Passes – Trail Ridge, Ute. And cycling the Front Range in Autumn – staggeringly awesome.