PanPanX
Ride On!!

Bikes: 2004 OCR3, 1989 Nishiki Sport, 2003 Kona Blast, 2007 Fuji Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bushman
Its very possible to make a fixed mountain bike using vertical dropouts.

First off is cog choice - you want THICK cogs, without ramps, or precut shifting cutouts. Tall teeth are your frined here.

Cog size, go a little bigger, for more tooth contact. I use a 20 - 26 range.

Chainring size: again, no ramps or shifting cutouts. I use a 30 - 36 range for my offroad setup.

Chain. use a KMC BMX or track chain., They is beefy! Or best of all is a FULL "halflink chain".Really easy to setup chain tension with a halflink chain.

now the tricky part, chain tension.......install the wheel/cog on the rear and snug up the skewer or nuts. add the chain and wrap it around the cog and chainring, until your holding one end in each hand. Figure out how much cahin you need and remove links accordingly. To join the chain, you may need to use a couple of halflinks. Tension should be "snug", just enough so that when you turn the wheel backwards you can feel a bit of tension.

Good Luck.

Fixed offroad bikes are freeaking incredibly fun, you can POWER thru mud and snow without bogging down, its like positraction.

my next project project is a Surly Pugsley with their 4" wide tires, 26 x 24 fixed gear, disc brakes. Hopefully they will have their 4" wide tires in 29" too.....

Where can you get a FULL "half link" chain? Also.. doesnt two half links just make one regular link? so.. wouldnt you just need to have a regular chain and one half link? Also it depends on the length of your chainstay.. for my mtn bike, if i remember correctly, i had a 16.1in chainstay length.. and the only way i could run a fg/ss without a tensioner is if i had some crazy combo like 22/9 or something..