View Single Post
Old 08-14-07, 03:51 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Roody
A lot of the recent research has convinced me that diets don't work, pills don't work, surgery doesn't work, nothing works. Short of starving yourself (which is almost impossible to sustain), your body will naturally go to the weight it feels comfortable at, its set point. There are a number of hormones and neurotransmitters that makes this happen--things we have no control over.
Balderdash. "Set point" is fat acceptance BS. Your body wants to maintain the weight its currently at. Nothing more than that.

Originally Posted by Roody
I'm male, 5'11". I weighed 320 pounds at one time, about 7 years ago, and felt horrible and had life-threatening health problems like CAD and diabetes. I've gotten down to 180 a couple times, but my weight always crept back up to about 210 to 220. I now think that's my set point. I feel healthy at that weight, and I'm neither hungry or overstuffed. My cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure are all normal at this weight. It's not as thin as I'd like to be according to our culture, but it's a hell of a lot better than the 320 of 7 years ago!

I do have to work to keep it at 220, or I'll creep up again even higher. But at least I don't have to be hungry or deprived, and I don't feel weak and tired, as I did at 180. I feel strong and healthy! I LIKE THAT FEELING.

BTW, IMO the OP is doing very well, but might stronger and lose some weight with more exercise. I need 60 to 90 minutes a day (averaged over a week) and some of that must be truly challenging exercise. YMMV, of course.
Your own life experience refutes the "set point" BS. If set points existed, you wouldn't have been able to drop from 320 to 180. As for not remaining at 180, that's your choice.

Incidentally, congratulations on the weight loss.