stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
What is the basis for saying that helmets will only protect you on bikes, motorcycles or cars in a very small set of situations, mainly limited speed impacts? I would consider this equipment part of a "layered defense" where the sum of the protection is made up of all the parts ie helmet + seatbelt + roll/crush protection etc.
Probably I should not have lumped cars into this statement. Helmets protection in cars depends a lot on what type of car you are racing Nascar, F1 etc. I guess the point I was trying to make is that on bikes and on motorcycles the majority of injury occurs when you come off the bike. If it is at high speed the helmet will not protect your neck or the rest of your body and damage there will probably be severe. In lower speed impacts your neck and body will probably survive the impact but a small head bang can result in a serious problem. Of course you can trip on a curb and hit your head walking just as well. This is why a lot of people just don't feel the head injury risk in cycling is enough to bother wearing a helmet. There are studies that agree, but in the end we each decide which risks we find are acceptable.

2013 Noah RS