Old 08-15-07, 11:26 AM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mbiehn
I believe that is the whole point isn't it? By requiring the establishment to enforce unfair laws publicly one gains both the moral and PR high ground.
Right; this creates public pressure to change the law.

But enforcement should be done appropriately. In the case of Critical Mass, ticket the cyclists running red lights after warning them that they will be ticketed. Anything heavier-handed for a red light violation that doesn't create a great deal of danger for others is inappropriate.

Personally, I don't support allowing cyclists to run red lights; I think that law is fair. As for taking up the entire road, I think that using multiple lanes is appropriate if there is enough bicycle traffic, but in other cases there's no need to use more than a single lane. Most of the problem with the police regarding Critical Mass is that they don't enforce the traffic laws properly, and instead get all bent out of shape trying to control when and by what mode the public travels.

If the Critical Mass participants want to run red lights, they should get a parade permit. If they don't want to get a parade permit, they should obey the traffic signals that multiplex roadway access with other users, or risk ticketing.