View Single Post
Old 08-16-07, 05:24 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by UtRacerDad
Ok, I had never read that to this point so I read it, what a load of BS. Weight loss is a life decision, the way to achieve it is to change your life style and take responsibility for your choices of both food and exercise. Sorry but that was probably the most irritating thing I've read in a long time.

For the last 12 years I have been within 5lbs (+/-) of 295, I rode my bike a lot, but never really seemed to loose the weight, this year I decided it was time to loose the weight, and additional exercise wasn't the only answer, it is a combination of things that helps with the weight loss. I also have High blood pressure (although 10 years ago it wasn't considered high, go figure, some drug company needed to sell more meds so they get a study to change the Set point, but that's a whole other discussion) and after doing a bit of research it dawned on me that there wasn't just one thing that would lower your BP to the level that my doctor wanted it, but there were a lot of small things that I could do that when added together would cause my BP to drop to an acceptable level. It is the same with weight loss, there really is no one thing that will cause you to drop the pounds overnight, but there are a lot small things that you can do that when they are added together will cause you to loose weight. That is why it really needs to be a lifestyle change, and the lifestyle change isn't just to loose weight but it is rather to be a healthy and fit person. The other thing is that you have to decide on the changes individually, what works for me may not work for the next person. You also have to have the willpower to make the choice to do it, and it is my choice if I want to loose weight and be fit.

As I said in a previous post there really is not magic bullet that will cause the weight loss that most people are looking for, but what will cause the weight loss is the acceptance of responsibility and that the only person that can do it for you is yourself.
Bravo! And not just because someone finally understands my criticism of misuse of the word "set-point."

Speaking of power, do you feel the power that comes with accepting personal responsibility for your weight and health?