genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
Yes, there are a number of "two traffic lane freeway entrances" here, and no, there's probably no effective way of "bike laning" them. I suppose they could turn the solid line into two dashed lines, they way they often do through right turn lanes, but I don't think it's critical, because getting safely across these entrances is not difficult. You simply look over your shoulder and proceed if there is no traffic, and if there is, you can signal with your left hand and then go. Most drivers, in my experience, are bright enough to understand that the cyclist does not intend to enter the freeway, and so do not need any encouragement to slow down and allow the cyclist to cross.

I suppose that might be an impediment to commuters, but anyone impeded by that is likely to be impeded by darn near anything. It's just not a very big deal.
The problem that will occur when the traffic load becomes so heavy that motorists feel it is difficult to slow down... when they feel the pressure from the bumper to bumper 45-50MPH traffic "pushing them along." Under those circumstances, the cyclist will lose due to the freeway like configuration of the roads... with those dual on-ramps making the surface street function as part of the freeway system.

When motorists have lots of room to respond, they can and will tend to be generous... however, when they feel pressure from congestion, then decisions to grant cyclists and peds "perceived favors" falls by the wayside. This is where this type of design fails at both the BL level and the VC level. It is in effect a very auto centric design.