tallard
Your scars reveal you

Bikes: My Brodie's dead, start hunting for a new cycle before March arrives

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
This is a good point - destination positioning is not rocket science - but the ease of this realization assumes that one is already thinking of themselves as a driver.
Indeed, for most BL riders, it IS rocket science, because they have not enough experience negotiating traffic to be at ease doing it, only practice makes perfect.

Now consider removing the second on-ramp lane in the picture entirely (it isn't needed for capacity). Would this not be better for cycling?
I have never been to the aforementioned intersection, but there's a pretty good opposite example in South Fort Lauderdale, southbound between Able Car Rental and the Airport exit, there's on-ramp for 595 :
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=e...&t=k&z=17&om=1
It's a one lane ramp that should be two lanes as the traffic is often times backup beyond Able Car Rentals (I don't own a car but often rent if needed). So what do motorists do, "hang" in the non turning lane until ahead of the traffic jam and at the very last minute rush onto the ramp lane.

So at least having the second lane designated as a possible turning lane WARNS the cyclist of the extra care needed in this location. The fact that double lanes becomes single on ramp is not indicative of unneeded capacity, as the speed differentials between the highway, the ramp, and the city streets work out.

The digital remastering is pretty cute, but are you implying that an 11' motoring lane is becoming a 14' motoring lane? or that a 14' motoring lane is becoming a 17' motoring lane? Because to me the preceding "BL" looks like a simple shoulder...