Old 08-17-07, 10:16 AM
obra3
Little Pony

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Unusual in a Crit

So... the OBRA (Oregon Bicycle Racing Association) championship crit was this past weekend. It's a 6 corner, flat as a pancake course. (I'll have the video prepped next week) I raced both the Cat 3 and the Master's 30-39. In the Cat 3 race, something quite unusual happened. During one of the laps, I got out of the saddle to jump, I felt some pressure on my back wheel and my back wheel skipped out.

At this point I'm like WTF? Normally, when you feel sideways pressure (pretty significant) on your rear wheel, it means that someone overlapped your wheel. But... I didn't hear what should have come next- the sounds of crashing. Then the odd sensation of having your rear wheels swept out...

I ran it through my head- I could think of only one person who is heavy and strong enough to survive hitting my rear wheel and almost taking ME out (isn't the rule the guy in back is the one who almost always goes down?). After the race, my suspicions were confirmed- the guy who hit my wheel is who I thought it was- a former wrestler for Oregon State University- strong as an ox and 190 pounds. I'm no lightweight (155-160) but I guess there's an advantage to being a big muscular guy.