View Single Post
Old 08-17-07, 07:59 PM
Luwin1026

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Allez Converted to Single Speed

With the inspiration of Brian Sorrell and others, I recently had my Specialized Allez converted into an SS. It was hanging up in the garage mostly neglected, and I was on the verge of either posting it on Craigslist or donating it. But with posts about singlespeed/fixie projects here and there, I figured why not give it a shot to convert it to an SS to try something different.

So after back and forth pm'ing roadfix and bouncing ideas off of him and getting invaluable information, it was off to my LBS (Temple City Bike Shop) where parts were made sure to be in stock or ordered. Thanks to them for bearing with me in selecting details such as the right gear as well as chainring bolts, etc. I wanted to keep my existing wheels to save some money and I liked the way they looked, so that is why I went with a SS conversion using my existing cassette body and spacers.

The gearing is 42x18. I originally was shooting for a 42x16, but the 18t turned out to not require a half link or a chain tensioner. I could probably run a 17t with a half link, but I decided to give the 18t a shot for now. Levers are the simple black ones from Tektro. Everything else is pretty much the same.

Apologize for the crappy quality pictures - after a long week at work and a full work day today, I have no motivation to take the bike out for some decent shots. But I'll try to get better quality pics after I get the bike cleaned up. And I apologize for the dirty garage door.

Last edited by Luwin1026; 08-17-07 at 09:59 PM.