Thread: I hate hills
View Single Post
Old 06-20-04, 09:59 PM
foehn

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by American Sensei
Sunday went out and climbed the hill-got down in the granny gear earlier-only grimaced for a short time when the guy 10 yrs older than me PASSED me on the hill! Also made a point to drink water and take my time, end result was yes it took me longer but I went farther and felt better. And there is such a charge when...you....get...to...the........ .. ..TOP. Fantastic View of Osaka as well!
Thanks for the help
American Sensei
Yeah, hills really suck. I have been riding again for about a year and a half now and when I first started I couldn't get up the hill to our house. I'd ride a couple a 100 or 200 feet and have to stop because I was so winded.

This past saturday I went riding with my husband who conned me into going up a very steep local hill, one I had never climbed before--I'm betting that this is a 18%+ grade. For the first time he went straight up it and I got up it by riding up the hill and at each cross street on my side I rode across hill for a house or two slowly and then back slowly to go back up the hill again; I never got off my bike or stopped moving. HooRAY!

You may always hate hills, but you can learn to conquer them. Use that granny and slow down, and the speed will come, maybe slowly but it will come if you keep trying to go up those hills. I am now able to gear up for portions of the hills around here, but since I have osteoarthritic knees I generally granny up them. I figure if I am going 4-6 miles an hour up a hill it's faster than I could walk it comfortably--and my legs are much, much stronger.

And remember, if you never do something, you can never become better at doing it! Also, I've found that the strength you build upthe hills helps your power on the flats. Keep at it and have fun.

P.S. I just turned 48 this year--I know you can do it. . .