Bossy Bunny

Bikes: A comfy little Diamond Wildwood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I got pulled over by the cops.

On the way home last night, I was rushing home to my sick doggie who we haven't been able to get meds (to provide relief from cancer and seizures) since Thursday night. I have to cross a couple busy streets and rather than stop at a sign like I should, I saw a break in the traffic and timed my approach to merge in.

I knew I was in for a ticket as soon as I saw the cop's eyes. 40 year old poser, fancy bike, kitted up, blowing a stop sign -- if such a person doesn't have a ticket coming, who does? He lectures me on how bikes should follow the same laws as cars and says that in most of the cases he's seen where cyclists got hit, it's because the cyclist failed to do that. I told him I felt kind of dumb for my mistake because I normally harp on following the law myself, all I want is to be treated like a car, and that my experience is that's much more likely if I act like one.

I give him my ID and he has his ticket book out and pen at the ready. He asks me if the address on my license is correct. I say yes. His serious look changes to a smile (address is in another town more than 20 miles away) and he lifts the pen. I got a verbal warning.

Even getting pulled over, I still had a very respectable commute time.

Doggie acts like herself, but still won't eat and is very sick so I slept on the floor with her last night.
So he didn't give you a ticket because of how far you were going? That's very cool.

I hope your dog is feeling better...it's so hard to watch them go downhill!

"Assume a virtue, if you have it not." ~ William Shakespeare

This advice is the reason I'm masquerading as an athletic person.