Old 08-19-07, 12:13 AM
backinthesaddle

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride report -- Holstein 100

Rode the metric century route for the Holstein 100 today. This was much harder than I expected. Total 65 miles. Website said it would be 3500 ft climbing. The actual climbing per my Garmin was a little over 5000. (Garmin MotionBased, which always exaggerates, gave 7000+ feet of climbing). If this what the metric climbed, then I wonder what the 100 miles climbing was.

I expected the Marshall wall climb (I've done that before), but there was another steep climb on Wilson Hill Road about 8 miles before the Marshall climb, well the first one wiped me out for the Marshall climb.

Weather was clear and warm, but there was a terribly strong headwind for much of the ride, especially on the climb to Marshall.

My total saddle time was 5 1/2 hours (remember I'm slow). Spent 2 hours at rest stops, plus stopping to rest on those steep climbs.

I can see why it's called the Holstein 100. Lots of dairy ranches, plus I saw goats and sheep. So lots of farming sights and sounds, but especially smells. Watch out for slippery roads, especially when a truck drops a small load of cowsh*t out the rear as it's passing in the opposite lane.

Pretty well organized ride, good ride directions and maps, rest stops were pretty well stocked, and very friendly volunteers.