View Single Post
Old 08-19-07, 12:15 PM
wibs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey everyone, my first post and this seemed like a good place to do it. Congratulations to everyone on their rides, it's a great feeling.

I've been doing almost all my local commuting on a bike for the past 3 or 4 years, but just over the last couple weeks started taking it seriously. I've been riding a nearly mint Windsor Carrera Sport (hecho en mexico) but just now got around to really learning how it all works by tearing it apart and putting it back together again. A month ago I had never done more than 30 miles in a day, but just this past week I did back-to-back centuries, riding from Santa Cruz, CA up Hwy 1 to San Francisco and across the Golden Gate, then back home the next day. It was absolutely amazing, a gorgeous ride on a nice mix of flats, steep San Fran hills, headwinds, tailwinds, and shoulderless roads through construction on a nasty turn going by the name of Devil's Slide. I can't believe how long I've put off taking biking seriously. Now all I do is think about bikes, bikes, more bikes.

On headwinds and tailwinds though, crazy the effect they can have. Going north, into the wind, I struggled for 10mph on the flats. Going south, I was coasting at 25. Great feeling to have that speed going home, but I think I'm going to stick to the mountains for a while and skip dealing with the wind altogether. Next big goal: Santa Cruz Mountain Challenge, 100 miles with 10,661 feet of climb!