Thread: toe overlap
View Single Post
Old 08-19-07, 01:59 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Do any of you have toe overlap and if so, how annoying is it. Do you think it could cause a problem when turning. I was wondering why they couldn't rake the forks or something, to give you more clearance. I would think there is a reason for it.
Toe overlap is one of the tradeoffs in frame design. It can be avoided by long top tubes, or laid back head angle, or added fork rake. But these all have consequences in bike fit and handling, not all positive ones! I don't know what you ride, but often a frame will be designed with overlap to afford the rider some other capability, usually good handling, targeting a short-torso body shape. A custom frame designer will often make this choice when the customer is skilled and has been consulted.

I don't find it a problem. I only encounter foot-wheel contact at very low speeds, and I've become good at reverse-pedaling to move my foot to a clear position.

Road Fan