Old 08-19-07, 03:23 PM
jamiewilson3

Bikes: Parlee Z4, Storck C1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Non drive side spokes breaking

Yet another spoke thread. I did a search, but didnt find one that was exactly like mine. I am 5'10" and 140 - 150 lb. The wheels have 5000 miles on them.

I have a set of custom wheels with DT rev non drive side spokes laced 2x 28 hole with aluminum nipples. They were perfect for the first 5000 miles (1 minor true needed). 3 weeks ago, I broke a non drive side spoke at the cross point. The same thing happened on Friday.

Both breaks occured when I was standing going slowly up a hill, like when starting a ride and you have a hill, but are not warmed up yet. - so a decent amount of torque.

After the first break, I had my shop (a very good builder) replace the broken spoke and retension the whole wheel.

I am going to try and replace the broken spoke 1 more time, and see how the wheel holds up. If not, I will probably rebuild the whole non-drive side.

Does anyone have any ideas why this may be happening? Or perhaps other questions I should be asking myself about the cause?

The only thing that I can see is that there is obviously some scuffing of the spoke (black) where they cross, and this appears to be stressing them to failure.