View Single Post
Old 08-20-07, 10:51 AM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by operator
Originally Posted by smurf hunter
Running linux on franken-hardware is usually the best bang for your buck. I follow a similar thought process for wheels - I get older premium hubs like Dura-ace, clean and service as needed and that saves a couple hundred $$$ per wheelset. Obviously I've got to hunt around for parts, but it almost makes the whole process mean more.
True for the home user only. Or small setups.
I think he meant, "Running Linux on franken-hardware is the best bang for your buck, compared to running Windows on that same hardware"... not "The best way to run Linux is on something you've pulled out of the dumpster." At least, that's how I understood it!

Obviously, maintaining a bunch of heterogeneous and out-of-date hardware would be a nightmare in most large business environments. Though I do know someone who built a Beowulf cluster of 10-20 nodes almost entirely from dumpster-diving... No word on how reliable or power-efficient it was, though

Anyway, I'm way off topic. Sorry