Old 08-21-07, 01:37 AM
Wheelchairman
Bendigo Youth Racing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoCom3_rider
On a repair with masking tape, a sharp ice pick can be used to punch many small holes in the electrical tape while the area is curing. The small holes will allow excess epoxy resin to drain thru the tape. The excess can be wiped off with a paper towel. Minimal sanding is required when the tape is removed.
If you're needing to punch holes in your tape, then you've used too much resin. The edges of the tape are all that should be needed for resin to escape. Plus, by taping you're trying to replicate the characteristics of a vacuum bag repair, albiet with less effective resin extraction. By putting holes in your tape you are simply weakening the tape and thus it stretches, meaning some of the pressure vital to extraction is gone.
Adhesive side up or down makes no difference for small repairs with electrical tape to apply pressure.
True, but the sticky side is always the sticky side, regardless what its been exposed to (in this job). I know what I'd choose if I wanted to make life slightly easier.