Old 08-21-07, 07:37 AM
Gordiep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redmist
thaks all for the responses. the surley crosscheck might put me over my budget, though it looks like a good basis for my project. i've been looking around for a used 80's steel road frame, but nothing thus far has really appealed to me. i found someone who is selling a giant bowery frame for $100, so i's thinking of using that bike as a starting point. it's aluminum, which is good for rust and as a daily rider, that's a good thing. i also considered the iro jamie roy, but that's about $200 more, though seems to be a good compromise in frame geometry- not as radical as a track frame, but yet not as laid back as a road bike. the bowery also seems to have road bike/track bike geometry- and from all the posts i see here, it seems to be regarded as a tough, durable frame. everything else about the bike seems to be the weak point, and since i'm building everything to my spec, i don't think i'll have a problem with the quality of the other parts.

the alfine hub seems to be the ticket, but is hard to find, and sems to be a bit pricey (as does the rohlhoff). i am looking at the shimano nexus 3 and 8 speed hubs as an alternative.

anyone think i should use discs instead of standard rim-type brakes?

anyone think that internal gears are a waste of money and i should stick to a standard cassette type gears?

thanks again all!!!
Yeah, the Surly is a little costly...Universal Cycles is having a clearance on the Green Cross Check frame...it's about $300 (25%) off.

I don't have personal experience with internal hubs, but I know that lots of commuters like 'em. Another option might be to do a 1x8-- put in a standard 8spd rear, with a single-ring crankset. That way you could pick up a cheap prebuilt wheelset online (most rear wheels with internal hubs are a custom job). I bet that you could get some nice wheels for about $150, or even less...and with only one derailer, you'd be saving some cash as well. Put some of that saved money into a saddle and pedals, to make your ride more comfortable. Good luck!