View Single Post
Old 08-21-07, 09:42 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by LoRoK
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will pick up some powerbars just to keep in my camelback (I can't afford a jersey yet, so they won't be in there). Also, I've noticed the word bonk in several posts in this forum, as I have lurked about for a couple weeks as the thought of longer rides gets more appealing. I get the basic gist of the term, but would someone care to explain the finer points of bonking?
Your preparation sounds fine. As Mike45 mentions, bonking is when your body runs out of fuel.

Bonking can happen to anyone, including strong and experienced riders. When it happens, typically you feel great -- you're strong and fast, but then it hits you like a wall. You'll experience incredible weakness, your head will be in a fog, and it is miserable to continue even on a relatively easy route. Bonking is not painful and has nothing to do with how your legs feel. If you haven't experienced it before, imagine being sick, but having no aches, pains, nausea or fever. Your body and mind just don't work properly.

You will know if you bonk. It can be avoided quite easily simply by staying fed and hydrated properly. Jumping from 35 to 70 miles will probably be no problem for you. If you feel up for it, go for 105, but take your time, and be sure to eat and drink.