View Single Post
Old 08-21-07, 01:40 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Driving more cycling less

Due to Dr. orders I've been cyling much less and driving more. (This difficult situation will be over soon I hope.)

I've made a some observations. The one that sticks out most is noting and not noting cyclists.
If I am hyper aware I feel like I could hit a cyclist at any moment. But this feeling only comes from not seeing one, with the sense that my higher speed means one could pop up any second with only fractions of a second to react.

But when I do notice a cyclist, they are always much futher away than I think motorists will see me as a cyclist. This is true no matter what they are wearing, if they have good lights or not, if they are on sidewalk or in center of road. It is very easy to see cyclists (even the visually less aware ones). I see them then I know to accomidate them well before I am near. Mostly nothing of me is required, I practially can ignore them as most often they are on sidewalk, in bike lane or curb hugging. I only pay enough attention in case they do something erratic.

Mainly I post this as I am surprised how far in the distance the narrow cyclists shadow profile does show up. 1/2mi away is easy too see - and that 'shadow' looks the same whether cyclist is wearing black or ANSI yellow.

Al