View Single Post
Old 06-22-04, 08:18 PM
bluemando

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nee help choosing a 3rd bike!

Hello all. This is my first post at this forum and I'd like some input from you. I have two bikes. One is a 1993 Bridgestone G6 (21" CroMo frame, 26" wheels, thumb-shift); the other is a Specialized Expedition, (Limited Edition 21" aluminum frame, 26" wheels, rapid fire shifters) I use the Bridgestone for commuting and the Expedition for "joy-rides." The problem with the Expedition is that the heavy front suspension forks adds significant weight so I can't get any "zip" out of it. My Bridgestone has a chromaly frame w/o any suspension. I actually prefer the ride -- for long distances at least-- to my Specialized. The aluminum frame of the Specialized renders a rather "stiff" ride. Consequently, I'm considering a 3rd bike. In addition to a lighter and faster bike, I want the new bike to be significantly different from what I already have in order to get a "different biking experience"

What I want is a bike with:
1. CroMo frame, in the $350-400 price range
2. NO suspension fork (to keep it light)
3. Seat-post suspension would be nice (because it renders a degree of comfort)
4. 700cm wheels
5. Quality SRAM grip shifters, (I hear they make some good quality ones)
6. Handlebars that will allow an upright position (I have back problems).

I would use the bike for fitness purposes on a bike path and to zip about town....5-10 miles per day tops. I'm wondering if a 700cm wheel frame is going to be a problem because of my weight (285 lbs. but looking to lose 30 lbs.) I won't be doing any wheelies or jumping curves, that's for sure! I'd like to get some input and brandname/model recommendations for any bicycles that fit the criteria I've outlined. I look forward to your ideas.

Thanks