Old 06-23-04, 09:11 AM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by kawch
So i got my first road bike this past weekend and have done 60 miles in my first 3 days. For me this is a pretty big deal. I am trying to lose like 20 lbs. I'm like 200 lbs. now and i'd love to be 180 or maybe a little less. but in shape as well. I think i can do it. The thing i noticed the most is that when i ride i eat more during the day, but like 3 solid meals. I used to skip out on breakfast but that is bad for your metabolism i guess. I can't wait to shed off the pounds. If anyone has any advice on eating tips that would be great!
I'm 47 and started piling on wt at about 41 or so. It was pretty bad, I started having health problems and decided to get back on track almost a year ago. I've lost 60lbs in about 9 months, pretty much my goal wt. Here is what I did:

Measured portions. I was amazed at how much I ate once I did that.

Eat 4 small meals a day, a few healthy snacks if very active.

Kept food diary. I still do this for a week or so every now and then.

Weight frequently. Yeah, I've heard the arguments, the scale isn't an effective measurement, muscle weighs more than fat, I go by my clothes, blah blah blah. For one, most people overestimate how much muscle they are developing. Also I had to get new clothes as the wt came off. I wear the same size now as I did 20 lbs ago. My waist is only going to get so small, I have large bones and while I wear the same size clothes as 20 lbs ago I have a lot more definition. Also, clothes stretch as they are worn.

Pay attention to calories, they do count.

Take healthy snacks with me when I go somewhere, especially when spending night away from home. While others are chowing down on pizza (I am the only fit one in my group of friends) and crap, I have one piece of pizza and some grapes.

Don't eat out much. I had gotten to where I mostly ate out. I used to cook for myself all the time but had gotten out of the habit. Preparing your own food gives you control over what you eat.

Don't get sucked into advertizing. Manufacturers use catch phrases to sell products based on whatever fad is current. These phrases are meaningless. I will go so far to say that the current crop of lardasses is a product of consuming too many things that have the word "low fat" on the label. The next crop of lardasses is in the making, it will be from consuming too many products with the phrase "low carb" on the lable.

That's all I can think of right now.