View Single Post
Old 08-22-07, 08:19 AM
6bikes
3TooMany

Bikes: commuter '93 rigid 'Dale / atb '95 Trek 8500 / road '86 Specialized Sequoia touring/ 3 others that I need to find homes for....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
What "impossible obstacles" someone else has are obviously highly subjective. Mine weren't / aren't particularly huge.
So true!!! In fact, it probably directly parallels/correlates with one's mindset and fitness level. The commute before was a cake walk, now its a seeming impossibility>> when in fact, the only difference is the dirt road section and 10 years of age.

Actually, in my case it was the other way 'round: I was sitting in a crowded bus, stuck in traffic, in a hot summer morning, figuring out how much time I'd spend running, skiing or walking the same distance... none of those were practical, but how about cycling. Zing! A few days later I bought a commuting bike and some panniers. Haven't looked back since.

My biggest obstacle remains the winter weather (or the fact that I need to find a place to dry my riding gear after a wintery commute). I've yet to commute throughout the year, but I'll get there one day.

--J
I admire you bad weather commuters (especially!), but all bicycle commuters, more than anything else there is! A bicycle commuter, navigating his/her way through traffic, in the dark, sunrise, sunset, in the city, on the slick icy rural roads, in the rain, in the snow, in the sweltering heat... just is prettier than anything I can imagine!!!