View Single Post
Old 08-23-07, 07:34 AM
I Like Peeing

Bikes: 1985 Pinarello Catena Lusso / 1983 Pinarello Montello / Raleigh Marathon / Camel Cigarettes conversion / 1957 Worksman cruiser / Puch 140 / Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by filtersweep
When I was living in the US, I was astounded how many people run reds-- first there are the stale lights- when I would be waiting at the front of the queue- and just as the light turns green someone blows through at high speed. Happens all the time- and makes me support those Big Brother cameras.

But also, there are the cars who just don't even see the lights. I was nearly hit by a driver who was oblivious that she even had a red in an otherwise empty intersection. Sometimes it is safer riding in a ton of traffic. With permissive drinking and driving laws, cell phone use, text messaging, etc... the situation will only worsen.
When I'm riding, I try to assume that every car door will open, and every intersection will have someone run through it. We just had a weird situation in Philly where the "Big Brother camera" was going to be alternately used at an intersection to catch a murder, and the camera didn't work at the time it happened.

I'm curious what you mean by permissive drinking and driving laws...?