Old 06-25-04, 10:44 AM
arctic hawk

Bikes: 2001 Trek XO1, 2009 Ridley Crossbow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
Currently I ride a Trek 7500 hybrid to work. I pretty much hate the riding position of the hybrid, and really like riding in the hoods of my road-bike. I don't want to take my expensive road-bike to work with me, but I am getting sick of the Trek. I just got a bonus at work, so I'm thinking about getting some kind of road-bike for my ride to work. I'm thinking of something in the <= $1000 range. I'm mostly concerned about making sure the rear rack is far enough back that I don't have heel-clearence problems. My trek is just barely long enough. I'm sure there will be lots of suggestions to get a trek 520, but what else is out there in this price-range with an extra-long chainstay?

Forgot to add...I will occasionally be riding on a rail-trail with gravel, and will use this for a few 80-100 miles day-trips also. Primary use will still be commute to-from work on flat/windy 5 mile route.
Perhaps you should look into a cyclocross bike. It would certainly meet your requirements, road bike handling & trail work will be a cinch!